Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:52 am Post subject: Problem with activesync and googlegroups
Hello, I am using Outlook 2007 and until last month I was using a PDA with Pocket PC 3.0 to sync with it. I recently bought a new PDA/Phone that has Windows Mobile 6.1 and have begun syncing that with my PC, but have found a problem, which I hoped somebody out ther might be able to help me solve.
I subscribe to a number of googlegroup mailing lists and when the emails from these groups arrive in my PC inbox the "From" field in the list of emails correctly displays the author of the email, for example "Fred Bloggs". When I open the email, the "From" line is displayed as follows:
When I was syncing to my old PDA with Pocket PC 3.0, the inbox on the PDA displayed the authors' names correctly, as in "Fred Bloggs" and when I opened the email on the PDA it correctly displayed at the top of the email that it was from "Fred Bloggs".
However, when I now sync to my new PDA with Windows Mobile 6.1, all of the emails are listed in the inbox to be from firstname.lastname@example.org . All of the "On behalf of" reference has been truncated. The same applies when I open the email on the new PDA. The result of this is that it is impossible to tell who the contributor is to the discussion that is taking place.
Is this a problem that has been highlighted previously? Is there a setting in windows mobile 6.1 to change the way that it handles this "on behalf of" emails. Any help would be appreciated in trying to get Windows Mobile 6.1 to be as user friendly as Pocket PC3.0 !!!
You may wish to independently synchronize email using a third party email client. I use nPOPuk (I'm on the development team) and it works just fine with Google groups, once you do the basic setup correctly. It is important that in setting it up you choose to 'disable RETR command' so that the email client acts independently of the list, leaving messages for later access on other computers. nPOPuk can run from main memory or a storage card, and can use any sort of internet access to get mail. The program can be had here:
And these are the instructions for setting up a Google mail account such as ports for POP and SMTP. There is a graphical, tabbed interface for setting up the account. This text is from the INI file account elements written when you set up the account in the program, and I show them for reference in doing that.
Name="(your full gmail address)"
User="(the part of your gmail address before the @)"
Pass="(your gmail password)"
UserName="(the name you wish to appear on replies)"
MailAddress="(your full gmail address)"
As for getting synching to work... I wish you luck. Gave up after many, many tries to get Activesync working in a stable fashion. Sooner or later it always messed something up for me.
Thank you for your very detailed reply, which must have taken a lot of your time to write. However, I think I need to clarify my problem. I am actually able to log in to my internet service provider (Freenet) directly from my phone if I choose to receive my emails in that way. If I do that then the emails arrive in a separate "Freenet" inbox on my phone. In this case, any emails that I receive from googlegroups are listed with the senders name correctly displayed and when I open the email the name of the sender is correctly displayed at the top of the mail. This Freenet inbox was set up when I set up the POP SMTP mail account on my phone.
However, if I receive the emails on to my desktop PC, where I use outlook 2007, and then use activesync to get the emails on to my phone/pda, the emails synchronize in to the original "outlook e-mail" inbox that is part of windows mobile 6.1. In this scenario, any emails from googlegroups are displayed in the inbox as being from "googlegroups" without the vital originator's name. Similarly, if I open one of the emails, I can only see that it came from googlegroups, but cannot see the originator's name.
So my problem is not one of being unable to set up POP and SMTP. But rather that if I want to receive the emails on to my PC first there seems to be a problem with the way that Windows Mobile 6.1 is dealing with googlegroups email headings when using activsync.
The annoying thing is that I also have an old PDA, which has Pocket PC 3.0 on it and when I sync to that, everything is displayed correctly.
The only 'solution' I can think of would be to turn off email synching with that device. I've never heard of a way to tweak the messaging application to behave correctly with such group mail. Messaging (formerly Inbox) has improved in more recent versions, but it is still a somewhat strange and buggy email application, just as Activesync is somewhat strange and a lot buggy. I'd not expect either to behave better in themselves, until Microsoft gets around to fixing such things in another version of the OS. And frankly it would seem a rather low priority, from their perspective as competitors, to make Google Group mail work properly through Activesync.
Thanks again Gerrard. Just to say that this is not only an issue with googlegroups, the same thing happens when receiving multiple emails from any group or mailing list. But I take your point that Micrsoft perhaps have bigger fish to fry. My reason for posting to this forum was in the hope that someone else had come across this previously and knew of a quick fix, such as a setting in Widows Mobile. Oh well, I will just have to keep syncing to my old Pocket PC based PDA, because that handles the emails perfectly well.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Copyright 2001-2010, Chris De Herrera, All Rights Reserved