Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

with wm6,5 can not add new contact

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> General Pocket PC Questions/Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astrositom
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: with wm6,5 can not add new contact Reply with quote

I have got 16000 contacts in my old cell phone. (older wm version, ipaq). After sync with my new cell (touch pro2 wm 6,5) I look the contact list. There is arround 13000 contacts. And I can not add new contact now. I can not see the other 3000 contact. I analysed the some files in the root folder. There is a file that "pim.vol". This file is 63 mb. I think the problem is this file. How can i add new contacs and i get all contacs from my exmobile phone. Any ideas ???
Thanks
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am somewhat dismayed by the method of storing contacts under WM5.0 and later. Using WM6.5 on my HTC Touch Elfin, I have only 826 contacts (checking with Phatware's dbExplore), and yet looking in the device root my PIM.vol file is almost 3MB! I have only three contacts with images associated, no other multi-media elements stored there.

For comparison, when I run my daily PIM Backup to a card the resulting file is only about 0.9MB, and that includes my Calendar database. Surely the developers could have been more efficient in the database store type, reducing bloat to conserve main memory. But apparently they were/are ignorant of device limitations and the needs of users such as yourself.

My guess is that the rather large scale of your contacts list is too great to fit into the main memory of that device without causing problems, and somehow this is blocking complete synch of your contacts. I'd suggest trying to run a full contacts/categories backup using PIM Backup, which is free, from the old device, then restoring that on the newer device from a card after transferring the backup file. Choose to overwrite the existing contacts. If this still does not work, then it would seem your newer device is not able to hold that many contacts.

PIM Backup is here: http://www.dotfred.net/
astrositom
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
I will try to backup the pim.vol and copy to the new mobile root folder. And i will write the result for you.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure that copying that file will work, but of course you can try that method. My suggestion was that perhaps PIM Backup was a more reliable means of backing up then restoring your data than Microsoft's synch tools, whether Activesync or MDC. That has been the case in my experience anyway, with PIM Backup never causing an error in a couple of years of regular use - including many restores when either moving to a new device or after ROM upgrades - where Activesync has caused me nothing but pain. Anyway, best of luck.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> General Pocket PC Questions/Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: