Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orange SPV M2000 messed up?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> General Pocket PC Questions/Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FabianEhlers
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Orange SPV M2000 messed up? Reply with quote

Hi there, my Orange SPV M2000 totally messed up!

I got it for my birthday and it came with Windows Mobile 2003 SE, but i wanted it "up to date" so i installed Windows Wobile 6.5 Professional.
And it worked!
I installed a few addons like MSN, Facebook, Twitter and another addons.
But then it doesnt react anymore.
I only can see the startscreen (where you can scroll up and down to go to messages, emails, time or other things), but i cant open the start menu - even the start menu button doesnt work!
I reinstalled Windows Mobile 6.5 and 6.1 several times, but it still doesnt change.
And when i wipe of the hole pda, and reinstall windows mobile, it still starts with my own wallpaper, so it means that it doesnt erase everything.
So do someone know how to erase the WHOLE pda, and install everything new, or is there another way to solve the problem?

Regards,

Fabian
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is probably a button combination you could try, which would trigger a proper hard reset. That is, to reset to the basic ROM, without your added programs, wallpaper, etc. You have probably just installed something which starts with every soft reset, and since you do not have a Startup-disabling program such as SafeMode installed you do not have the option of bypassing that launch and then disabling or uninstalling whatever is causing the problem. I'd suggest first trying to press and hold the power button and the soft reset button (with the stylus tip) at the same time, just holding them both for a few seconds. This might force a hard reset - it works with many, but not all models. Some models use other button combinations, sometimes 3 buttons at once or even 4, but usually involve pressing the soft reset recessed button as one of them.

If that fails, then is it possible to remove the battery for a day or two? This might cause the same sort of reset.

It could also be that by installing a flash ROM based OS to a device which was designed for running from RAM, you have saturated, or used up all the available memory in ROM and somehow bricked it. Since you have been able to run for a bit, this seems unlikely... but I've not heard a lot of successful stories about running a post-2003SE OS on 2003SE hardware. Sounds risky.
FabianEhlers
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard wrote:
If that fails, then is it possible to remove the battery for a day or two? This might cause the same sort of reset.

I looked up in the internet that leaving the battery to run out makes a hard-reset-back-to-factory-defaults reset!
So now im going to do this, and let the battery run out of energy, i hope that will work, if not is there a way to erase the whole pda? and install everything new?

Thank you.

Fabian
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The methods I suggested, using hardware button combinations or removing the battery, seem to be the only ways available for you to OS without your installed data. Since the device is not responding, the other methods which rely on interaction with software do not apply.

There may be an applet in your Settings for example, as is the case generally with WM5 and newer, which allows you to clear all data by tapping a screen button and then inputting '1,2,3,4' for example. I have this on my device, running WM6.5. Or you could use a third party program such as psShutXP which has a 'hidden' function - tapping the upper right corner of its small window brings up a dialogue in Russian (displayed as lots of rectangles on non-Russian devices), and you can proceed tapping either of the available buttons a couple of times until a hard reset is initiated. Takes a bit of trial and error to get the right buttons, which is okay because it's only two buttons so not a lot of options to try. But as I said, since your screen is un-responsive these options are not available to you.

As for 'factory reset' this is not really accurate in your case. A hard reset, however you manage to do it, will return your device to the 'cleaned' installed ROM, or OS. So in your case this will return you to WM6.5. In order to return to true 'factory' condition, you would have to re-flash the ROM with the same version as came with the phone from Orange. You could probably find a copy of that somewhere, or if you had the foresight to back up the ROM before flashing the new one then you could use that.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> General Pocket PC Questions/Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: