Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stumped where to start with wireless IQAP h5455?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> General Pocket PC Questions/Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gondorff
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Stumped where to start with wireless IQAP h5455? Reply with quote

I just can figure out how to get the HP IQAP h5455 connected to my wireless DSL router.

I have figured out how to turn on the WLAN. But I have not gotten further then this.

I have been trying to figure it using the following information. However it seems like I must have missed something because I do not have some items that are shown on the image.

I do not have the arrows going right and left and I do not have the tower shown to the left of it.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=322914&prodTypeId=215348&objectID=c00031220

So where do I start with this thing. What is the first thing I need to do to get this thing connected to my wireless router?
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the 'Dell Axim' title for the tutorial linked here:
http://wifi.aximsite.com/
Most of this stuff applies to any PPC. It's the best tutorial for getting Wi-Fi connected and for troubleshooting on a Windows Mobile device, to my knowledge.
Gondorff
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tutorial was for setting up WiFi.

I am just trying to set up a home wireless connection.

Or they both the same thing? I really do not know for sure.

I still do not get it. Even after looking at the info and trying to configure the Ipaq.

In reading other posts it seem like I should have a indicator in the upper bar showing an antenna. I do not have this item. And some arrows that point right and left, do not have these either.

I have another pc that has a wireless connection and that works find. It is using type B USB connection.
The modem is Westall 327w from Verizon.

The only thing I show is a green quarter circle at the bottom of the screen. I have nothing a the top of the screen that the unit see any networks.

Please what should a be looking at?
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have never operated that particular iPAQ I cannot tell you exactly what to do. Making Wi-Fi work on a Windows Mobile device can be somewhat complicated. But for starters, 'just' setting up a connection to a home wireless network is indeed the same as setting up Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is wireless, 802.11x (a, b, g, or n, depending on your equipment, but 802.11b is what you have in that iPAQ if memory serves) being the kind of radio protocol involved. You are not talking about using a wire to connect to your home network, therefore you are talking about wireless, or Wi-Fi.

Some Wi-Fi settings you will find under Start > Settings > Connections through various icons there. The exact nature of these applications, or applets, changes somewhat with each OS version of Windows Mobile, but most of the core operations remain similar. These kinds of operations are addressed through some of the links provided on the tutorial site for which I provided a link. To go one link deeper, here:
http://wifi.aximsite.com/wifi-faq.html

The other main link is for setting up your home network itself. Not relevant here if you notebook PC is connecting okay. Not all of it is directly relevant to your device settings, but having a strong understanding of the basics will help avoid a lot of small errors and pitfalls.

There are of course lots of sites offering information on Wi-Fi use with Pocket PCs. It can take quite a bit of searching to troubleshoot some sorts of problems... and I'd gladly provide more specific information if your questions indicated really specific problems. Lack of a particular icon or two doesn't really tell much, unless one has the same device on hand to test with and compare. I've used several wireless CF cards with several types of PPC, and also a few types of more modern device with built-in Wi-Fi. No two are exactly alike in how they display connectivity properties, though as I said, there are similarities.

Things to do first, perhaps:

- a soft reset, pressing a stylus into the soft reset hole on the base of the device, can resolve some issues caused by memory leaks or software bugs
- running through and trying various settings in the various communications related applets under Settings > Communications
- same with anything in your root Start Menu to do with connections, if there are any program shortcuts like that there
- read the owner's manual, in PDF if available from HP or elsewhere like on a CD which came with your device
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> General Pocket PC Questions/Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: